Cash Flow and Capital Finance for Your Growing Business
The SBDC has a good summary of options here
. But if you’re beyond self-funding and need help, there are many options:
Get A Grant
If you’ve got technology, there may be a grant for you:
Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Program
Under the SBIR programs, 11 Federal agencies (including USDA) award research and development funds to small businesses via a highly competitive, targeted process. The SBIR program is designed to stimulate technological innovation and provide opportunities for small business. SBIR Grant Information
Get a Loan
The things lenders look for when evaluating a loan application are a conservative business plan, a significant equity contribution, capable management, realistic repayment ability, good credit history, and ample collateral to fall back on, just in case.
Consider a micro-loan
Kick Start it with Crowdfunding:
Crowdfunding, raising money by selling product, services or even equity to friends, family and beyond is growing in popularity. Here's a moderated selection of some helpful articles.
– using an online source to match QUALIFIED angel investors with start ups. NOTE- if you use crowdinvesting you are considered to be “generally soliciting’ and there are sigificant regulatory rules. Please consult a lawyer.
for an overview of crowdinvesting
- Find an independent investor who can help finance your early growth, with an expectation of a high return on investment, and an “exit” after 3-7 years. The definitive guide to Angel Investing in Oregon
University Venture Development Funds
- WAC – Willamette Angel Conference is an annual Conference and training program matching start-ups with investors, and providing business plan support, pitch support and mentoring.
- Oregon Angel Fund
- OEN –Oregon Entrepreneur Network- including Angel Oregon
- Portland Venture Group – Seeks to fund startup and early stage business ventures in the greater Portland and Vancouver, WA areas
- Portland State University – Click here to learn more
- Oregon State University – OSU Venture Fund Click here to learn more
- University of Oregon – Click here to learn more
Commercial Venture Capital:
Usually, the most difficult-to-find source of financing is venture capital
Venture capitalists have exacting standards for choosing an investment and often require some management and ownership control in the business. A good primer can be found on the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Web site.
SBA Venture Capital Web Site
Rural & Agricultural Loans:
For those outside the Metropolitan Area (Philomath, Alsea, Monroe and Rural Benton County)
Food Processing Loans
- USDA Rural Development Grants Operated by USDA Rural Development Program assistance is provided in many ways, including direct or guaranteed loans, grants, technical assistance, research and educational materials.